is Science Olympiad?
The Science Olympiad is a tournament where students in grades 6-9 participate
in science events of their choice. Events are structured so students
can develop a science project or apply science skills. Students can
compete as individuals or team members, based on the events they choose.
curricular requirements for the district
interest in science
creative problem-solving techniques
applications and connections to the real world
learning through hands-on, minds-on activities
Can I Have My Students Participate?
order for teachers to have students participate in the Science Olympiad,
they must coach or assist at least one event. Rotary support will be
available prior to and on the day of the Olympiad to help coordinate
Coach an Event the Teacher Must:
and make copies (and extra copies) of any written materials needed to
run the event (this may include setting up stations for students to
rotate through, providing answer sheets, providing information sheets
needed for the event).
2. Gather materials, equipment and supplies needed to run the event
(a Rotary sponsor will help with this).
3. Prepare for advance set up, running and scoring the event.
4. Show up for the event!
You Will Find:
1. Intent to participate form
2. List of planned events with a brief synopsis of each
Must Be Done NOW:
1. Look through the enclosed list to determine
which event(s) you will be willing and eager to coach and ask Linda
Brown or Elaine Dria at Wilson JH to sign you up.
2. Begin exciting your students about the prospect of entering and preparing
for the Science Olympiad Competition!