Can the library help me configure my computer?
Everyone’s computer is different and you are responsible for knowing how to configure your own equipment.
Some helpful tips are included on this page.
Lane Public Library cannot be responsible for any changes you make to your computer’s settings.
If you need additional assistance, you may need to contact the manufacturers of your hardware or software.
Wireless Card Settings:
Use the software that came with your wireless card or computer to configure the settings and to verify a connection to the library’s wireless network.
SSID (network name) = “any” or “guest” (without quotes)
WEP = disable WEP encryption
Mode or Network Type = Infrastructure mode or Access Point
1. From Control Panel, select Network & Internet.
2. A pop-up appears in the lower right-hand corner, click Open Network & Sharing Center.
3. Click Local Area Connection in the middle of the screen to view options and click Properties.
4. Select Wireless and choose your hotspot
5. Authenticate by opening a browser window and approving the guest user policy.
1. From Control Panel, select “Network and Dial-up Connections” or “Network and Internet Connections > Internet Connections.”
2. Right-click on “Wireless Network Connection” or “Local Area Connection” and click Properties.
3. Locate the Internet TCP/IP protocol and get into its Properties. If more than one TCP/IP protocol is listed, look for the one associated with your wireless adapter.
4. Select “Obtain an IP address automatically” and “Obtain DNS server address automatically.”
5. Right click on “Wireless Network Connection” and select “View Available Wireless Networks.” Select the name of the wireless network available at the library (guest) and click “Connect.”
Internet Explorer Tips:
Please note that depending on your version of software, there may be variations in the procedures.
1. From Control Panel, select Internet Options > Connections tab.
2. LAN Settings should be “Automatically detect settings” and leave the Proxy server settings blank.
Network Settings (OS X):
1. Select: Apple Menu > System Preferences > Network button.
2. Select TCP/IP tab and Configure “Using DHCP.”
3. Above the TCP/IP tab, you may need to Configure via “AirPort” or other wireless (WiFi) ethernet.
4. Leave Domain Name Servers and Search Domains blank.